Sweet Potato Stacks + Old Bay Pork

Monday, June 23, 2014

I am a meat and potatoes kinda girl. Sure, I can get down with a kale-spiked smoothie and consider hummus and carrot sticks a well-balanced meal. But when push comes to shove, a hearty plate is what makes my heart sing.


This recipe for Rosemary Sweet Potato Stackers caught my eye. I didn't use as much cheese or the coconut oil (I used vegetable), but otherwise the recipe is pretty simple. Slice sweet potatoes thin (I used my mandoline), toss in oil, season with fresh rosemary, layer them in greased muffin tins, and bake!

I'm really glad that she notes in the recipe that the rounds will shrink down once you start baking. I worried I'd bought sweet potatoes that were too chubby for the muffin tins.


You cook these up for 45 minutes or so at 375 degrees. I also threw in a marinated pork tenderloin simultaneously on the second rack.


The pork recipe comes from my friend B who writes Classic Annie. Her sweet mom cooked up Crab Chicken and the second I read the recipe, I knew it would be a regular addition to our lineup (and it is!). There are three ingredients: olive oil, apple cider vinegar (I've used red wine vin in a pinch), and Old Bay seasoning. We've made it with chicken but I also love it with pork.


I also sautéed some spinach with mustard seeds and garlic to add some extra vegetable goodness to the plate. Now, for the closeup once again:


The stackers are perfect - they have crispy edges and fluffy centers. They weren't as cheesy as the recipe likely intended, but I didn't miss it. I kind of loved the textural differences of the crunchy vs. soft and you cannot beat potatoes covered with the incredible aroma and flavor of the fresh rosemary. I also cannot say enough good things about the Old Bay marinade - if you're unfamiliar with Old Bay, go buy some and try this recipe. This entire dish will definitely appear on our menu again!

2 comments:

  1. Those sweet potatoes - YUM! So glad you're loving the old bay recipe! PS - now I have you on my blog roll....no clue why it took me this long. So now I will see your blog and be able to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im gonna have to make those potatoes, they look delish!

    ReplyDelete

You can be sweet or spicy, but no sour grapes.

Pin It button on image hover