Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

Friday, September 12, 2014

One of my NYC Apartment Living habits is a regular audit of storage - purging my closet, throwing out clutter from under the bathroom sink, chucking Sephora samples that are 6+ months old and untouched. Most relevant to The Chardonnay Kitchen is my periodic review of the contents of our kitchen cabinets and formulation of plan to use things up.

I made Skinnytaste’s flag-styled fruit pizza back at the 4th of July and had some white chocolate chips hanging out. Yum. I know not everyone is a fan of white chocolate but I 100% am. I decided to dust off the best scone recipe on the planet and use them up, brightening them up with fresh fruit. Strawberries were the plan, but raspberries won out once I got to the store.


I wondered if Martha had made raspberry scones and found this recipe, too. I ended up mainly using the Fast Raspberry Scones recipe, incorporating the cream from the Cream Scones in lieu of buttermilk.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup light cream
1 egg yolk
6 ounces fresh raspberries
3/4 cup white chocolate chips


I got to use my food processor's dough blade for the first time - oh, the things that thrill me these days! - and it whipped the ingredients together in a snap. I added the white chocolate chips by hand once the dough was ready so the blade wouldn't smash up the chips. Once those were incorporated, I smushed the dough ball out onto my floured countertop and, per the recipe instructions, "sprinkled" the raspberries on top. I folded it over the top of the berries and the moment I pushed down on the dough I thought, “Shit, this is going to be white chocolate raspberry soup.” I folded the dough in half again and more raspberry juice oozed everywhere. Only semi-panicked, I added another ¼ cup or so of flour to dry everything out and just started molding blobs of hot pink dough into scone-ish shapes.


Sighing, I figured, “They’re pretty. They’ll cook or they’ll fall apart.”


I put them in the 400 degree oven and checked them after 10 minutes. I finally took them out around Minute 12 when the edges were browned and a toothpick came out clean.


Nailed it.


They’re creamy inside. They’re fully cooked, yes, but somehow the fresh raspberry juice and the gooey chocolate make the otherwise crumbly scone taste creamy. They are amazing. They are admittedly sweeter and more moist than the Currant Scone recipe that I love for opposite reasons, but I added almost a cup of chocolate to them. And I loved every bite.


And I took MANY bites. The next day, I brought four of these to a girlfriend of mine and thank goodness I did - they are addictive. I ate them for breakfast, as post-dinner dessert, as a snack with a cup of hot tea. I think they'd be perfect to make around Valentine's Day because of their gorgeous color and assertive sweetness. Or, they'd be perfect for the next time I want to empty out chocolate chips from my pantry - to quote The A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

You can be sweet or spicy, but no sour grapes.

Pin It button on image hover