Citrus Thyme Salmon with Caprese Quinoa

Monday, May 5, 2014

I was discussing salmon recipes with one of my sweet coworkers recently. She hit the nail on the head when she said, "Sometimes a little lemon is really all you need." Today's salmon recipe is lemon plus some blood orange as noted on Friday. Herbs and citrus of any kind always make fish delicious and this was no exception!


I have to confess a really dorky fangirl moment. When I posted the Slow Cooker Short Ribs recipe on TCK's Instagram, I tagged Real Simple magazine. They liked the post. I had one of those squeal-and-flap-my-arms-wildly moments. Internally, of course.

Today's recipe is also inspired by Real Simple's Salmon Fillet With Citrus And Thyme, though I swapped the blood oranges for the regular oranges. The preparation is so simple - drizzle and season your fish, slice your citrus fruit, toss them and your herbs all over the top, and then bake until your salmon is done.


I paired this with a caprese-style quinoa that I saw on my girl Tess' blog. I had some of the mini mozz balls in my fridge from stuffing meatballs and went to town. You're, of course, surprised that I also had asparagus in my fridge and tossed that in as a green component of the salad.


This is one of those perfect (to me) weeknight meals - you're totally stuffed afterwards, but you're full of healthy proteins and vegetables (with a little cheese for good measure). Naturally I paired this with some chardo and had a big time with the leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. woot woot! love the shout out. And caprese quinoa is my jam lately.

    Also, I totally agree with your co-worker about lemon. On Saturday night my girlfriend and I were at a really yummy Italian restaurant and ordered meatballs as an appetizer. They were spicy, very Italian, and yummy - but had a little something added. Something that made them go from good to fricken awesome.

    Well, low and behold. Lemon Zest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget the edible aspect, I am really down with the gorgeous appearance of the salmon covered in sliced citrus. Really superior stuff.

    I know I owe you the hominy casserole recipe - I need to see if it even remotely exists online, otherwise I will scan and e-mail it over!

    ReplyDelete

You can be sweet or spicy, but no sour grapes.

Pin It button on image hover